• How far is the Lodge from Joburg and Durban?
Three and a half hours from Joburg.
Two and a half hours from Durban.
One and a half hours from Pmb.
• How far is the Hideaway from the Lodge, and is it still private?
Its about 100m away, fenced and totally separate
• What should I bring?
We suggest the following items to make your stay more enjoyable:
Towels, ice, board games, fishing rods, canoes, tubes, life jackets, books, walking shoes, sunscreen and binoculars. Headtorches are very useful.
There is a Superspar and Tops in Winterton.
Toilet paper, dishwashing liquid and bath soap is supplied.
• What are the Check-in and Check-out times?
Check-in is at 14h00. Please check out by 10h00 in the morning.
You may make a special request for an early or late check out, and this will depend on availability.
• Is there hot water?
Yes, we use a donkey boiler system to heat the water. The Hideaway and Main Lodge central unit have a gas system.
• Is there a bath or shower?
We offer hot showers, but no bathtubs. Please ask Bhekhi for the baby bath if required.
• Are pets welcome?
Yes, as long as they stay off the beds and furniture, and do not utilise any of the kitchen bowls.
• Can I walk my dog in the game farm?
Only if it is on a leash at all times.
• Is there an oven or stove?
Yes, there is a gas stove and oven in the Hideaway, and the Lodge has four gas plates as well as a gas stove / oven.
• Do you have Pots and Pans?
Both the Hideaway and Lodge have fully stocked kitchens.
• Do the cottages at the Lodge have tea and coffee facilities?
No, there is one kitchen in the main central entertainment area
• Do we need to request the size of bed (single or king size) for the cottages before we arrive?
• Are there any pubs / country clubs near the lodge?
The closest is the Bridge Hotel in Winterton (22kms away).
• Is there electricity?
No, but lights are powered by solar panels. A generator will be switched
on from 6-9 pm to assist with some extra lightning.
There are plug points in the main lodge only, and not in the Hideaway, so you may charge phones / tablets.
• Do you have working fridges?
No, but we do have gas deepfreezes. You may have to take veggies and milk
out at night if they get too cold.
Please ask Bhekhi for assistance
• Is there a TV?
• Do you have a Microwave?
• Is there a Potjie?
Yes, there is are 2 potjie pots in the Lodge and one in the Hideaway.
• Is there a risk of Malaria?
• How much is it to get in at Spionkop Nature Reserve?
R30 per per adult, children 12 and under R20
• In the Spionkop Nature Reserve, what type of animals are there?
White Rhino, antelope and plains game including giraffe, zebra, wildebeest, warthog and 270 species of birds
• How much is the Horse riding, and how old must children be to ride?
The rides take place next door at Spionkop Nature reserve, and cost R120
per rider, and last approximately one and a half hours for an out ride.
depart at 8am and 2pm. Children must be 12 and over.
We recommend that you prebook the rides on 036-4881578 or Fax : 036-4881065. Please go to office on arrival at the reserve, not to the stables.
• Can I swim in the river?
Yes, when the river is low it is safe, but during periods of heavy rainfall or flooding swimming is not advised. There are no Crocodiles, Hippos or bilharzia in the water.
• Are there fish in the river?
Definitely, yes! There are some large catches to be had.
• Can I hire a fishing rod?
Yes, there are rods for hire at R50 per day. Ask Bheki.
• Are there tubes and canoes available?
Yes, but please note that these are for other guests use as well, so please take good care of them, to ensure someone else may make use of them. You will be billed for damages, loss of paddles and canoes.
• Can we bring our own canoe?
• Is there a maid?
Yes, Thoko will wash dishes, make beds everyday and clean the cottage.
• Can we tip the staff, and how much?
Bheki and Thoko are husband and wife but we request that you please tip them individually. Tips are completely at your discretion and will be warmly appreciated.
• Can we drink the tap water?
Yes, but you may bring your own drinking water. Our tap water is from a borehole, onsite.
• Is there a Fireplace?
Yes, each cottage has a fireplace. We do provide coal and kindling in Winter.
• Will the fireplaces be filled and cleaned by Bheki?
Yes. Coal and kindling is provided for indoor fire. Please ask Bheki to light it for you.
• Are there Braai facilities?
Yes. You can purchase wood at R20 a bundle from us. We purchase the wood from the locals to support their enterprise and all proceeds go to them.
• Can we bring our own Wood? Is the wood sold by the locals hard wood?
The wood supplied is Acacia. Please bring your own should you so wish.
• Can we bring our quad bikes?
If you have any other questions, please send us an email on email@example.com